Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Two a.m. Wake Up Call

Last Thursday, Julia and I drove to Ocean City, MD to visit with my friend Kim who was staying there with her family. Kim, who is not married and has no kids, said that she would be happy to share a hotel room with us for the night. I reminded her that even though Julia is normally sleeping through the night that anything could happen and that she often screams when going to sleep. "No problem," answered Kim. "I'm used to it since my sister has three kids."

Julia went to sleep easily and I marveled at how peaceful she looked sleeping in her pack-n-play. How sweet, I thought to myself.

It was sweet until she woke up crying at 2 a.m. Since Kim was sleeping in the next bed, I picked Julia up right away. She stopped crying and I held her in my arms as she drifted back to sleep. I knew that she would wake up and cry when I put her back down because that's what she always does. But she usually falls asleep a few minutes later.

"Waaaa, waaaa!" As expected, she cried right away. I knew that she could see me in my bed so I turned my back to avoid eye contact. (Does that sound mean?) I also tried pulling the covers over my head. She'll stop soon, I told myself. Well, twenty minutes later (I know because I looked at my watch) she was still crying and soon someone knocked on the door. Am I horrible for letting her cry that long? I honestly thought that any minute she would fall asleep.

I ignored the door but instead picked Julia up again. This time I nursed her, she fell asleep and then woke up AGAIN when I put her down. But I let her cry it out and she fell asleep shortly thereafter (what I thought would happen the first time around).

Besides me being up for over an hour in the middle of the night, we had a fun time at the beach. But I'm not sure that Kim will be eager to share a room with us again any time soon.

No comments: