Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Narcissistic Mommy? Maybe!

I just read this article about "Mommy Literature" in an online version of Newsweek. It's interesting...but it doesn't go anywhere in particular, other than to say it's not an interesting genre to read. (Like this blog... hee hee.)
The author does justify "mommy angst," tells us we have more time to worry about our parenting choices than our previous generations and therefore, more time to decide if ours are the correct choices. She also says that the choices, the minutia...it's all uninteresting to read about. Important to us at the time...but not interesting.
To some degree, I think she's right. When I go back to work, I'm not going to care, or have time to ponder about diaper choices, discipline strategies, organic or non-organic, or even wonder about the most efficient stroller.

I do wonder if I could have spent these 8 1/2 months worrying about other things...(or even better...not worrying at all) but it also seems like a rite of passage to contemplate all the choices, dangers, and parenting styles. Even if it only means that I end up being in the same middle ground I find myself in on just about every issue in existence.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yummy Vs. Slummy: And the winner is ... who cares? We've become narcissist mommies, obsessed with our parenting choices and defensive when confronted with others'."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20121799/site/newsweek/page/0/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must be completely exhausted b/c I have so much to say about this and can't type one more word... I will be back :)

Anonymous said...

So good post nice to read this and check the best strollers for baby