Friday, June 22, 2007

Itsy Bitsy Spider

This goes into the "just plain dumb" category:

ALL of my life I thought that "Itsy Bitsy Spider" went up the water spout.

In the bathtub.

I don't know why. Maybe that's where my mom sang it?

So every time I sang the song, I envisioned the spider going up the tub spout. The rain that came down was the from the pipes. And the sun? Well, I never understood that part. What was the sun doing in the bathtub?

It all became clear when I read the BOOK to Owen. (There is one.)

Apparently, the spider lives OUTSIDE. He goes up the "garden spout." Which makes a HELL of a lot more sense. "Down came the rain" makes more sense too..because he's climbing up the rain gutter. "Out came the sun and dried up all the rain...."
Well.
Of course.
My whole life, and I never thought about where the damn spider lived.

1 comment:

Tulip and Turnip said...

Hmmm, that's weird. I thought the same thing. I guess because you don't often call the thing outside a "water spout." Had I thought about it, I'm sure I would have figured it out. Maybe.