Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Suffer Now AND Suffer Later??

So E.J. was up again every two hours last night...this time punctuated by screaming fits again about 10 minutes after each time we put him down...and can I ever relate to that desire to just throw him out the window. Thank goodness in the morning I can look at him, love him, and talk to him again but around 4:30 in the morning...it's a whole other story. Every night before I go to bed I ask to be a patient, loving mom no matter how he acts, but at some point I seem to end up in tears.

This would be so much more tolerable if I just knew HOW LONG this is going to last. Is this going to be for one week and then improve? Or is the fact that I'm nursing him back to sleep whenever he gets up dooming me to spoil him and then wake up even more, like every hour during the night? Do I listen to the side of me that says he's waking up for a reason so I need to be there for him? Or to the other side that says I am only teaching him bad habits through what I am doing?

1 comment:

Lydia said...

You ask a great question. People always say, "Don't read the books, listen to your gut." But your gut can tell you conflicting things at different times (or at the same time)! What's a girl to do?

Eilat always says about giving birth, "The pushing part would have been so much more tolerable if I had just known how long it was going to last." Finally I told her a few days ago, it almost never takes more than four hours. That seemed to assuage her concerns even though it was a very conservative estimate.

So I'll tell you the same thing: If you plan to sleep train E.J. in a month or two, you probably only have a month or two of this left. Sure, there will be bad nights when he's up and you're nursing a lot. But in general, you'll get more sleep. :)