Thursday, July 12, 2007

Are We All Going to Forget How Hard it Was Raising Babies 20 Years From Now?

We were having a family reunion - my cousins, aunts and uncles at my grandparents' house. (I am the oldest of many cousins, the only one that's married and the only one with kids.) Nathan was using me as a jungle gym (something we call "climbing mount mommy"). He wasn't particularly misbehaving; he was just being his mischievous normal 2 1/2 year old with alot of energy. One of my male cousins (with two male siblings) asked his mom if this is how they behaved. Her response - "No, you kids were perfect!" The response made me laugh. I know that neither Nathan or I are perfect. I quickly responded loudly to the audience of my cousins: "Don't kid yourselves. This is exactly what we were like when we were young. We also abused our parents. This should give you plenty of reason to appreciate our parents for all the crap they put up with all these years!" My mother was sitting right next to me and I hope that realizes that I appreciate her much more now that I have a child of my own.

I hope to have a similar moment in my future - one in which Nathan appreciates all the shit I put up with in order for me to do what I believe is best for him.

No comments: